Friday, February 4, 2011

TIME I TOLD YOU WHY THIS BLOG IS CALLED CROOKED TIMBER!!!!!

I don't like blogging. I don't know why we have to do a stupid blog. As if I didn't have enough homework! We were told to decide what medium to use to present and share our ideas. Mr. Shaun gave several ideas - can't really remember them all - SORRY MR SHAUN! Generally I was quite indifferent as to what to do. So when Ms Suzy's class decided to use a blog as their medium - we were stuck with this project.






So I am asking myself - why? oh why! am I doing this. I'm quite happy with the old fashioned way of doing homework - write it up and pass it up. Anyway, I spoke to my Dad about it. He has several blogs and all his friends seem to like reading his blog. I thought some advice would be useful. He asked me what the blog was about and I told him that it was to express and share my ideas in Global Perspectives. He told me that's really great and that I should just write about my own thoughts about anything and everything that was related to the subject. In particular, that I should have the courage of my convictions and express them. Most importantly, that I should think about both sides of an issue before forming and opinion about anything because there is always more than one way to look at something.


He told me about this wonderful quote by Sir Isaiah Berlin that "out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing was ever made". That gave me pause for thought. I realised that that was so true, even in the context of our daily lives. Choices, choices and more choices and all of them so difficult to choose from. To finish my homework, read, or read, or read some more, play games on my iphone, watch Phineas and Ferb, chat with my friends ............. so many things to do, so little time!








I could see the annoyance build on my Dad's face - Jacelyn.... "there are more important decisions that people are confronted with and the choices they have are equally important and equally difficult to choose from - to euthanize someone, to have an abortion, to support capital punishment, to steal or to go hungry, to suffer a tyrant or kill him and the list goes on my dear," he said.


I really don't know? but I know that this much is true - we live in an imperfect world where people always talk about perfect solutions - people like my Mum for instance! So there you go - The Crooked Timber.




Hope you enjoy reading it. It's a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment