Thursday, November 10, 2011

Peak Oil Self - Reflection

"The brightest light moving away from us, unless it be reflected, is darkness to us."

1. What have I contributed to the group project?
As the group leader, I have striven to efficiently and effectively organise our group work evenly and to assign work to the strengths of each member. In terms of contribution to the outcome, I wrote the part of the script for the video.

2. What would I do differently next time?  Why?
I would motivate others in my group to do their work. I will constantly keep in mind to not be overbearing and to encourage my other members to contribute. 

3. What have I learnt about working together?
I learnt that as a group we need to be aware of the time we spend on discussions as we tend to get carried away and we need to constantly remind each other not to get distracted or go off tangent. Generally, our communication seems to be fine but we had a slight bump during the mock project so I'm making a conscious effort to ensure that I state things clearly in the future. 

4. What has been good / challenging about working as part of a group?
Outside of class time, hardly ever meet together. All whole group discussions are limited to those lessons. Therefore, we work at a slower pace because it is hard to find a convenient time to meet. 


5. What have I learnt about;
  • deciding on and planning a project?

I have learnt that deciding on a focus while pretty straight forward, took longer than strictly necessary. I didn’t learn anything new about planning a project but I discovered more effective ways of doing so. 

  • planning and producing research?

I learnt that as a group, it is a good idea to do an initial, general research before deciding on the aspects of interest for each member to concentrate on. 

  • reading and presenting my ideas?

I haven’t actually learnt anything new about this. I merely had to articulate my thoughts into written words that I shared with the group. If anyone need clarification or a summery, I would just orally respond. 

  • time management?

I learnt that as a group, we will need to keep that in mind because we all are easily distracted. However, Miss Gita has suggested some ideas that we might implement to ensure that we do not waste precious time.

6. What would you do differently to develop these skills?
I would make "check points" to ensure that keep on track with our work and time. I would also be firmer with Jia Yi and Wen Wen because they tend to get distracted together. 

7. How did I approach my individual contribution?
I approached it with my strengths and interest in mind. I chose to contribute with a piece of writing about an aspect that interested me. 

8. What are the most valuable points I have learnt? Why?

I learnt that we take a really long time to plan. This is important because now that we have identified one of our weakness, we can work to ensure that it does not become crippling. I also learnt that we, as a group we are easily distracted. Now, we just have to work to remember that. 

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy


No comments:

Post a Comment